Monday, September 7, 2009

In Which I Encounter SPORTS DAY!

Every year, each school hosts a "Sports Day". This is similar to what you and I know as field day back in elementary school, except way more involved and important. The students and teachers have been preparing for Sports Day for weeks. The students are split up into 5 color coded teams and compete in various events for points. The team with the most points at the end wins! Seems simple enough, right? However the events they compete in are hard core! Various relay races, 5 legged races, 50 legged races, fighting over tires, dance competitions, tug-o-war, and much more. I had the honor of competing as a part of the teacher's team during one relay. I am proud to say that after I ran my 50 meters, students and teachers a like told me "Ashurii Sensei, hayai!" which means fast. I had so much fun, and wish Sports Day existed back in the States.

I made a little video to give you a small taste of Sports Day: Japan style. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the video. Looks like alot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! So much fun! Makes our field day look like a joke!

    ReplyDelete