Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Driver's License: A Gripping Tale of Survival

In the last few months, I have faced my worst enemy thus far in Japan. The DMV. Or whatever they call it here. First, a little backstory...

Before I left America, I went to AAA, paid $15, and received an International Driver's Permit. This handy booklet allowed me to legally drive in Japan. However, the IDP expires exactly one year after I arrived in Japan. Knowing this, and also having heard stories of other ALTs having to take the test multiple times, I started preparing for this test in early July.

First of all, I needed to get all my documents in order. I needed to get my Colorado license translated into Japanese. I also needed proof of having driven in the US for at least 3 months after I received my Colorado license. I needed a few more things as well, but you get the general idea. Having prepared everything, I took a day of paid leave from school (of course the DMV is only open on weekdays from 10-4), and off I went. After submitting my paperwork, I waited. Then, I took a written test (in English). That was pretty much a joke. One question was, "True or false: There is an old lady walking in the street with a cane. You shouldn't slow down because you're in a hurry."

I'm not joking.

Anyways, after passing the written test, I waited, then I took an eye test. I can still see pretty well. Then I paid the test fee, was given a map of the driving course, and went outside to walk the course before I took the test. After walking it a few times, a few instructors came in to talk to everyone in rapid Japanese. Before I knew it, my name was called, and off I went. Needless to say, I failed the first time. I think the pass rate for first timers is around 30%. My pride was a little hurt, but I expected to fail the first time. Most of my friends took between 2-4 times to pass. No big deal, right?

The next week, I took my second day of paid leave. (I get 20 a year). I didn't need to take the written or eye test again, but I certainly had to pay the test fee again. Drove the course again, perfectly, I thought. But alas, it was not to be again.

Reasons I have failed the driving test:

- Going too slow.
- Going too fast.
- Running over a curb (I just kissed it, I promise)
- Not signaling soon enough (30 meters) even when there is a possible earlier turn I could make.

So I failed 4 times. My school is getting a little worried, so they send one of my teachers with me for my 5th time. I'm "strongly advised" to take a practice course. I was stubborn and didn't want to, but I gave in. So I paid the money, and took a practice course in the morning before the test in the afternoon. I'm feeling pretty good, and am confident I'll pass this time.

My name is called. The man says to me (in Japanese) "Run!" Oh man. I get in the car, go through the motions, and off we go. He says something to me, but I can't hear him, so I ask him to say it again. He doesn't. We round a corner, and he says something else. Still, I don't catch it, and still he doesn't repeat it. I'm not even halfway through the course when he says "Finished. Go back to the start". I am bewildered. We get back to the start, and he YELLS at me in rapid Japanese. All I can understand is the end when he says, "DAME DAME DAME." This means "WRONG WRONG WRONG." He asks me if I understand. In my most polite Japanese, I say I'm sorry, but I don't. He tells me to study, then opens the door.

I might have cried a little in the bathroom after that.

After taking a few weeks off, I'm back for the 6th time. I get in the car, and drive the course just like I do every other time I've taken the test. When I finish, the man (a different one) tells me one time I didn't look out far enough, but that was it. I passed easily.

2 months, $200, 4 paid days of leave, and 6 tries later, the war has ended. I still don't understand. But, I have my license, and that's all that matters.

:-)


PS. The British and Australian ALTs don't have to take the driving test. Really Japan?

No comments:

Post a Comment