Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Merry Christmas!


I hope you all are having a great holiday season! I am a little sad that I am not home for the holidays, but I am still having a great time over here. I took off work on Christmas day to celebrate with other ALTs who stayed around for the holidays. There are light displays everywhere, and I have seen various "Santa-sans" riding around. The "feeling" of Christmas is not the same, it feels more artificial and neon then it does back home, but I am thankful I have friends to celebrate with.

On another note, my supervisor had asked me to turn in my recontracting decision in by the end of the year. Although I have a bit of the "winter blues" right now, all things considered, I am having a great time here in Japan and I do not regret my decision to come at all. So I decided to stay for another year. I went to school on Christmas day specifically to turn my papers in as a "Christmas present". Recontracting another year means saving the school tons of money (by not having to pay for my flight home plus having to pay for my replacement's flight out here). So at the very least, I expected my supervisor to appear happy with my decision. Instead, when I handed him the papers, he looked at me and asked, "are you sure?" Confused, I nodded, and all he said was, "good luck." Not even a smile! I felt badly about this for a while, but I refused to let it get to me. I love being at this school, I love the kids here, and I hope they feel the same about me. If they'll have me, I would love to continue on this journey next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment